Saturday, March 19, 2005

Using Snownews with your Bloglines.com Account

I've been an avid Snownews user for awhile now. It's a great little text-based RSS aggregator that I have installed on all my linux boxes. The only problem is that it's a bit kludgy to keep track easily of which posts I've read and which ones I haven't gotten to yet because it caches everything locally. Basically, if I read some posts on my desktop, they would still be marked new on my Snownews installation on my laptop. That sucks. So I signed up for Bloglines, a web-based aggregator. It's sweet, but I missed the simple interface of snownews. Luckily, though, Bloglines provides a nice API for their web services. Using this documentation, I hacked up a quick patch for Snownews that allows it to connect to your Bloglines account and read your feeds. Now I use snownews when I'm on my linux boxes and the Bloglines website when I'm stuck on a Windoze box.

Here's a link to my patch:
Bloglines support for Snownews

This should patch cleanly against Snownews 1.5.6.1. To apply the patch, just go into the untar'd source directory for snownews and type:
zcat bloglines.patch.gz | patch -p1

Then just make and make install as usual. When you load up snownews, there will be one new option on the help menu. Press 'z' to enter your Bloglines account information. Then just exit out of snownews, load it back up and it'll connect and download all your Bloglines feeds (including categories). Voila!

Standard disclaimers apply.. use at your own risk. Let me know if you have any problems using it.

, ,

No comments: